Sunday, April 15, 2007

Cynthia & Annie's Gluten-Free Baking Extravaganza.

Today Mom (Cynthia) and I baked a load of gluten-free goodies. I decided that I needed to photo-document this extravaganza, as this gluten-free-ness marks the first day of the rest of my life. Annnnd... I was sure that there would be some baking mis-adventures (which there were) and I didn't want to miss a chance at catching them on film.

Note: Please excuse the crappiness of how I look.

Here I am, stirring up a non-glutenous flour combination. Note the extensive amount of flour on my clothes.

Mmmm, xanthan gum.

Me posing with weird gluten-free ingredients.

My first ever gluten-free baking creation! Corn bread. (It was delicious, in case you're wondering.)

A mix of crazy celiac-friendly flours.

Mom, looking gleefully pleased with her mixing skills.

HA HA! Our first gluten-free baking mishap! Sunken bread. Poor Mom.

Close-up of gross failed bread.


Needless to say, this different type of baking has been quite adventurous. Apart from the gross sunken bread, we made delicious and successful brownies, corn bread and chocolate chip cookies. I am feeling quite good about this new way of life.

After baking for awhile I lay down in the living room for a nap. Mom was in the next room finishing up on the baking. She's great. Simply marvelous. A very entertaining person. She had a lengthy one-sided conversation with the cat about why one needs to grease cookie sheets before baking.

Yep.

3 comments:

Amanda Bast 8:25 PM  

Hooray for no gluten!
And I'm extra excited that you found El Peto products! Just a tip: El Peto sells all purpose flour mix all ready to go, so you don't have to mix all the xanthan gum together and such. It makes things much easier. If you only had one baking disaster, you are doing quite well! Also, you can never beat gluten free flour too much. In fact, it makes things fluffier. It is also normal for cake and such to look quite lovely when it comes out of the oven, and then for it to cave in. Keep making wonderful things :o) Oh wow, I sound like Martha Stewart.

ariane 8:45 PM  

well notor. good job. congrats. katie would be proud. cynth is funny.

Anonymous 9:57 AM  

What a fun little baking adventure you had! I especially loved the sunken bread. :)

Oh! And I'm so glad that you posted a pic of your mom cuz just the other day Gary and I were wondering if she still looked the same as when we saw her eons ago. And she does!