Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Baby-Crying Survival 101

When you're caring for a small baby who likes to cry a lot, you begin to find that you begin to try anything, EVERYTHING, to make this baby stop screaming. I have noticed that I've started doing strange things without even realizing it.

I talk a lot when it's just Sylvan and I in the house; I've found that the sound of people talking seems to calm him down a bit. I have conversations with him, with myself, with the TV, with things in the fridge, with clothing and with furniture. Anything to make soothing talking noise.

A lot of songs become lullabies. Traditional lullabies, definitely, but also any other song stuck in my head that could be modified slightly to sound like a lullaby. Songs I have sung to Sylvan lullaby-fashion include:

Carry On My Wayward Son - Kansas (sung verrrrrrrry slowly and soothingly)
D'yer Mak'er - Led Zeppelin (sung very happily)
Bicycle Race - Queen
Summertime - Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong (this is the version I picture in my head)
Any Christmas carol

I've also learned that I am one of those mothers who uses sickly-sweet sentimental nicknames for her child. I have referred to Sylvan as "Honey", "Sweetie", "Precious", "Teensy Baby", "Schnookums", and list goes on.


On an even stranger note Luke and I have come up with some pretty random made-up nicknames for our little guy. I'm not entirely sure where a lot of the names have come from. Some of the more popular ones we've used are, "Mister Baby", "Bee", "Honey-Bee", "Poopy" (this is a new one I've started using. I should stop), and "Mister Fussy". Actually, any of the Mr. Men names have been used interchangeably depending on the situation.

Sometimes, in the middle of the night, the crying increases to a fever-pitch. We usually end up prancing bouncily around the kitchen holding Sylvan up to our chests, cooing "Baby! Baaaaaby! Mister Baby!".

Yes, I have witnessed Luke prancing.

The prancing is sometimes necessary... helps get the burps up. Sylvan's burps that is.

Ahhh yes, how life with a baby has changed us!

6 comments:

Karis 5:31 PM  

hahahaha, I love this post! Keep em coming. Now i'm imagining luke prancing while saying Bee, Bee, Bee, Beebee

Amanda Bast 5:44 PM  

haha I love you guys. Having a baby hasn't changed you that much. I've seen Luke prance before.

"And my bow! Tee hee!"

Anonymous 6:04 PM  

You wouldn't happen to have any secret video footage of the prancing, would you? :)

Annie 6:09 PM  

I definitely need to film the prancing! I will call it: "Prancer: The Sequel".

Sara 7:46 PM  

all the talking to him, will indeed sooth him as well as help his speech development, and earlier speaking too! It is crazy the things we do, say or sing just to get our babies to stop crying! you are doing great annie!!

ariane 11:30 AM  

please not poopy, then you're no better than roommate.