Sunday, December 07, 2008

My Big News!

I figured it was time to update my blog... and what could be more exciting than getting to report that Luke and I are engaged??!

It happened on December 5. Luke had planned a special night out in Niagara-on-the-Lake. He picked me up straight from work and we headed straight to NOTL. He had discovered there was a Candlelit Stroll happening on the evening of December 5 - basically a walking tour of the town, with carrollers posted on different corners and the whole town decorated beautifully for christmas. People walk through the streets holding lit candles and listening to the different choirs singing carrolls.

It was a very cold night so after we walked through the town we stepped into a gourmet food shop for some hot apple cider. Luke had made dinner reservations at a local restaurant. Apparently he planned on proposing during the candlelit stroll but it didn't end up working out that way... there were way too many people around and I had made sure long ago I didn't want a public spectacle of a proposal!

When we got to the restaurant we were seated at a table that had a bouquet of roses on it. I didn't even notice the roses at first, and I was eventually like, "why does our table have roses on it?", because I noticed our table was the only one with roses. We had a nice dinner and eventually we were ready to leave. I had my suspicions during the week that he would ask me on Friday, so while we were at the restaurant I was wondering the whole time when he would ask me. I was worried he would forget that I DIDN'T want a restaurant proposal or a public proposal, so I was nervous the whole dinner he would get down on one knee in front of everyone and propose!

We left the restaurant at 10:30, and by then the streets were entirely deserted. It was beautiful out because it had started snowing, and all the christmas lights everywhere were still on. As we were walking to the car, Luke all of a sudden got down on one knee, pulled the ring out of his pocket and asked me to marry him. It was funny because as he was getting down on one knee I was just like, "ahhhhhhhh!!", before he even had a chance to pop the question. I said yes, of course :)

We took some pictures:







So that's our big news! We're planning on getting married this summer.

3 comments:

Maxine 8:17 AM  

Aw such a beautiful story. Wish you all the happiness in the world.

Anonymous 10:11 AM  

We are SO happy for you! Congratulations!

Oh, and it's about time you updated your blog. ;)

The Leb 6:30 PM  

WHY LUKE?! He's the worst!

(Just kidding I am very very happy for the two of ye)